As we continue to face the COVID-19 situation together as a community, I’m honored and proud for all the support and kind words from our students and families.
Rest assured I take my responsibility very seriously, and am doing and will continue to do everything in my power to serve you and your families at the highest level during this disruption. That being said, I am beyond excited to announce that:
We are officially reopened .
Our new location is 904 Summit Avenue, Union City NJ. We’ve established new procedures to keep you safe as you train in person at our school.
Our school is professionally cleaned, with surfaces disinfected each day; however, out of an abundance of caution, we are taking further actions to redouble our efforts.
These efforts include:
- Disinfectant cleaning of the mats between each class.
- Disinfectant wipe down of all doors and door handles, chairs, counter tops, card racks, shoe cubbies, desks, phones, keyboards, mice, and other commonly touched surfaces at least 3 times per day.
- Disinfecting training equipment after each class, and using disposable training aids where possible (for example, we’ll use kicking papers instead of vinyl targets, and dispose of those papers after each class).
- Disinfectant cleaning of all surfaces and fixtures in the restrooms between each class.
- Hand sanitizers stationed at the front counter and in each restroom.
- Limiting guests in the spectator lobby to maintain adequate social distance (so for the time being, please no one other than students and staff are allowed in the school.
- All staff, students, parents, and guests (anyone entering the school) will be checked for fever with a “touchless” laser thermometer, and if symptomatic, will be asked to go home
- All staff, students, parents, and guests (anyone entering the school) will be required to sanitize hands when entering the school.
- All staff, students, parents and guests will be required to wear face coverings adequate to cover the nose and mouth.
Limiting Close Contact in Classes
We’ll be limiting close personal contact in many ways for the next few weeks. As we always do, we’ll greet with a courteous bow instead of handshakes, we’ll use air high-fives, thumbs up, and other noncontact motivational tools to let you know what you’re doing well.
Instructors will limit physical contact with students when correcting technique, and we’ll be limiting student-to-student contact as well. For example, we’ll conduct “distance” sparring instead of making contact, teaching longer-range self-defense techniques, and temporarily eliminating grappling.
But, fear not, classes will be as exciting and high energy as ever!
We are also strongly recommending (in part, per the CDC’s guidelines):
- Only attend class in a washed, clean uniform
- Clean your gear after each class following the manufacturer’s recommendations
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after you have been in a public place or after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing
- If soap and water are not readily available, use a hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol. Cover all surfaces of your hands and rub them together until they feel dry
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands
- Cover nose and mouth with the inside of your elbow when coughing or sneezing
- Clean and disinfect surfaces and touch points in your home often (daily)
- Avoid close contact with anyone with cold or flulike symptoms
- If you have flulike symptoms, stay home, and call your doctor
We will continue to monitor this situation very closely, and will inform you of any changes quickly, but if you have absolutely any questions or concerns, please feel free to give us a call here at the school or email us directly.